DC Spirit Crew

DC Spirit Crew
Follow us on Twitter @DCSpiritCrew

Monday, January 20, 2014

The Volunteer Experience (Part 2 of 3)

In Part 1, I rambled on about why I became a Washington Spirit volunteer.  I’m glad you’ve all decided to come back for more because this, like my experience, will just keep getting better. 

The volunteering process wasn’t long or difficult.  After I filled out the form on the Spirit website to be a volunteer, I was contacted shortly afterwards by Nadine, the Volunteer Coordinator.  I did a brief phone interview and I was invited to Volunteer Orientation at the Maryland SoccerPlex.  And so began the adventure…

The thing about volunteering for something is that most people do it because they’re passionate about whatever cause or organization they’re signing up with.  Volunteering for a new women’s soccer team in a new league is no different.  I didn’t know what to expect when I walked through those SoccerPlex doors.  Granted, it didn’t help that I showed up humorously early because I didn’t want to risk being late.  DC area traffic is always a cause for concern, even early on a Saturday morning… or so my brain told me.  I was mildly concerned that I’d be the oldest one there, surrounded by screaming young fans hoping to catch a glimpse of a player.  But the volunteers there were professional and just as diverse as the fan base.  The people that showed up were just as passionate about women’s soccer in DC as I was, if not more so.  There were people wearing old Washington Freedom gear and there were people there that barely remember the WUSA.  But regardless of any of our differences, it was clear that we were all there to help support the team.  And after a trivia-based ice breaker where our group in the front row won Starbucks gift cards, it was also readily apparent that we were all fans of the game as well.

The very first game I worked, I was assigned to be a ticket scanner on a very, very cold day.  It was the pre-season and we were standing at the gates, holding the scanners with our numb hands greeting fans from everywhere with a smile and a shiver.  Despite how cold it was, seeing the scoreboard display SPIRIT with the fans in the stands on a gorgeous field at the SoccerPlex made it all worth it. 

The next game, I got a different assignment and was partnered up with Ian, another volunteer.  We were assigned to be the team statisticians.  This time, instead of being outside, we got to sit in the press box and watch the game from there, pen and paper in hand documenting shots, corner kicks, assists, goals, and substitutions (even NCAA-rules substitutions for a game).  Thankfully, once the season began, we used a league-provided stat tracking program and a laptop, which made it much easier.  And it would be there that I would spend the rest of the season, sitting next to our public address announcer Ken, Ian, and the media.
I knew I would be going to games all season, but I never would have anticipated being in the press box watching the games.  The stats that we logged went directly to the league and as the season went on, were live-tweeted.  It was and is still is one of the coolest gigs I’ve ever landed.  After games, I went down to the stands and to the hill to help the ushers and it was then that I was named the, “Angry Spirit Volunteer” by some of the fans.  I do have to put forth this disclaimer:  I was never angry.  I just wanted to make sure all of our fans were safe and if I told you to stop leaning/standing on the railing, stop pushing into the rope line, or gave you the infamous, “You’re already in the front, you can’t get any MORE front,” line, it was out of concern and love.

As a volunteer that was mostly in the press box, I never really interacted with the players much beyond the team sponsored meet and greets and short random snips of conversation.  But I did escort one player’s mother around before a game because another player’s mother jokingly told her that I was the “mean one” (Backstory: I didn’t recognize who she was and didn’t let her in the one game I was a ticket scanner because she didn’t have a ticket.)  It was moments like these and being there for the team’s first home goal, home shutout, and home win (after enduring a ridiculous rain/lightning delay) that really added the cherry on top to an already incredible experience.  From the moment we put on the bright yellow volunteer shirt (later, the red Spirit polo) and made the drive to the SoccerPlex, putting our credentials around our necks, signing in and getting issued our radios and meal tickets to the end of the game, tearing down curtains, and moving benches, we were all there as the team went through highs and lows.  And even though we weren’t on the field wearing the Washington Spirit uniform, we went through it together as a Spirit Family and I’m excited to do it all over again in 2014. 

As I look back on an old tweeted picture of that first orientation meeting and the people in that front row that won those gift cards… I see that those random strangers that I first met a year ago have become a part of the Spirit Family, the Spirit Crew, and most importantly, my friends.  

To be continued, in Part 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment